In support of the Department of Homeland Security and FEMA goals, the FEMA Emergency Management Institute (EMI) offers self-paced online Independent Study (IS) courses free of charge to individuals with emergency management responsibilities.
As a proud FEMA partner, MACEM awards college credit to individuals upon successful completion of FEMA IS courses meeting college rigor. Course credits may be applied toward an academic credential including an Emergency Management degree, Certificate, and or Letter of Recognition and often satisfy professional development requirements set by various employers, departments, and agencies.
Converting FEMA IS Courses to College Credit
- Complete FEMA EMI IS program course(s) at training.fema.gov/is/crslist.aspx.
- Go to EM-Study.com to order college credit(s) and request official transcript(s).
- Receive an FCC transcript reflecting college credit.
Important Student Notes
- Prior to enrollment: Confirm selected courses are eligible for credit and/or meet desired student outcomes.
- Verify semester dates and confirm processing lead times at Frederick.edu/FEMA.
- Credit conversion cost is $82 per credit.
- Following receipt of a conversion order at EM-Study.com. Orders for transcripts are submitted to FCC on the student’s behalf.
- A student record is created and/or updated with one (1) college credit and a ‘P’ for passing each course. (‘P’ is equivalent to a grade of ‘C’ or better and does not factor into calculating a student’s GPA.)
- Two separate emails are sent to the student with processing/status updates; the first is sent upon receipt of the order and the second is sent when transcripts have been shipped.
- Transcripts are then mailed to students via US mail.
- Allow at least four weeks for processing—rush service is not available.